top of page
The Old Hickory Bar-B-Q has been a Dayton tradition since 1952!
Steve and Sylvia Kolb are the founders of Old Hickory Bar-B-Q. Together they opened 4 locations in the dayton area. Steve immigrated to Canada from Hungary in 1932. Along with his mother and sister they were reunited with his father who previously immigrated. Sylvia was born in Kentucky and orphaned by the age of 5. She was raised by her older brother and his wife. Both came to the Dayton area in search of work. They met while working at Burt's Steak house (later to become the first Old Hickory). Steve was a cook and Sylvia was a waitress. They met in October 1948 and were married 2 months later...
The original location was opened in 1952 on East Third Street. Which was later sold to a family friend and closed permanently.
In 1962, Steve and Sylvia opened the Brown Street location with Steve's sister Irene and her husband Joe Kiss. In 1989 Joe and Irene Kiss became the sole owners of the Brown Street location and renamed it Joe Kiss's Hickory Bar-B-Q. Now known as Hickory Bar-B-Q. The restaurant has continued as a Kiss family owned restaurant.
In 1969, Steve and Sylvia opened the Main Street location. Upon retirement they sold the Main St. location in 2000 to daughter Vickie Johnson and partner Tim Heaney. This location permanently closed in 2012.
In 1978 Steve and Sylvia opened the Woodman location. In 2009 the Woodman location was sold to Steve and Sylvia Kolb's granddaughter Jessica Manis and husband Mike Manis.
bottom of page